Friday 31 July 2009

Friday 31st July 2009

Rather nice to end a month on a Friday, feels like everything's finishing at once. In fact, I feel pretty much finished now - disc of our book goes to the publisher tomorrow, maths assignment gone to my tutor, car MOT done for another year.

Yes, sorry, get on with the ears!

OK, in the car on the way to work this morning:
Nirvana - Nirvana (a perennial fave)

At work on the iPlayer, from the Proms:
Berlioz - Overture Benvenuto Cellini, La Mort de Cleopatre
Mendelssohn - "Hymn of Praise"
(ah, Mendelssohn. My relationship with Mendelssohn is slightly complicated. At one stage in my life I was going to become the world's Mendelssohn expert. Hmmm! My relationship with this piece is even more complicated - I had to sing the soprano solo part in it in a concert one night for my ex-boyfriend, who had subsequently become my music teacher. I REALLY didn't want to be there because I wanted to be at a dinner in Oxford getting very drunk. Ho hum, such is life.)

So, I set off on my constitutional without Mendelssohn, but with:
Pendulum - In Silico
(just wonderful. VERY happy walk. Memories of a fabulous gig last November).

Then back to the iPlayer and, following a link from a tweep:
Ravel - Serenade Grotesque (from Composer of the Week)

Then checking out my facebook inbox, a message led me to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN75im_us4k
which was the most disturbing thing I've heard in a long time. Much stranger than Mendelssohn by FAR!

In the car on the way home:
The Kills - Midnight Boom (playing this leads to an extremely happy Wonderspouse)
Reverend & The Makers - The State of Things

At home, my newly arrived, signed by Rev, CD had arrived:
Reverend & The Makers - French Kiss in the Chaos.

So there you are! Today's ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment