Saturday 7 November 2009

Friday 6th November 2009

Here are the ears for yesterday!

In the car for a couple of short trips:
Handel - Acis & Galatea (the end of)

In the morning at home:
Bruckner - Symphony No.2

In the doctor's waiting room:
Elgar - Nimrod from Enigma Variations
Mahler - Adagietto from Symphony No.5
Assorted Jazz Violin Stephane Grappelli style music

In the car on the way to and back from a friend's house:
Vivaldi - Concertos for lute, lute & viola d'amore, mandolin, 2 mandolins, assorted instruments (in C Major)
Handel - Fireworks music (opening)

At home in the afternoon:
Bruckner - Symphony No.3

At home in the evening:
Bruckner - Symphony No.4

Comment: Has anyone got the idea that I'm doing a Bruckner cycle at the moment? In case anyone's interested, it's Barenboim and the Berlin Phil on Warner Classics.

4 comments:

  1. Interested to know what you make of the Barenboim set. My dad has that one; I haven't heard it myself but sometimes find Barenboim rather lacking in the necessary passion and warmth. I have the Haitink box, which I rather like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't describe it as a particularly passionate reading of the cycle, but I didn't find it lacking in warmth either. I'll check out the Haitink sometime for comparison - it'll be interesting.
    I'm still getting to know some of the symphonies better, so this opinion may change as I discover more. Been a fabulous few days doing a symphonic cycle though - I've very much enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe it's further complicated by which version they choose to do - I never knew till recently how many of the symphonies exist in multiple versions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe it's time to investigate the versions now too - think I may be just at the start of my Bruckner experience!

    ReplyDelete